Protool

Jofra Archer’s IPL stay a ‘collaborative decision’, says Rajasthan Royals head coach Sangakkara

As the debate continues within England cricket over Jofra Archer’s decision to remain in the IPL ahead of the home Test against New Zealand, Rajasthan Royals head coach Kumar Sangakkara insisted the fast bowler’s extended stay was the result of a “collaborative decision” involving both the player and the ECB.

Archer, who is working his way back to red-ball cricket after a long injury layoff, has faced criticism from former England captains Michael Atherton and Michael Vaughan for continuing in the IPL instead of returning early to prepare for the Test series against New Zealand.

Sangakkara, however, suggested the ECB had factored Archer’s workload management and long-term bowling targets into the decision.

“I think it’s a collaborative decision from what I know. I don’t want to speak out of turn about things I don’t know with certainty, but I think it was a collaborative decision between the ECB and Jofra,” Sangakkara said on Sunday.

“And then talking about his bowling goals, especially in a Test match. It’s very difficult to get your bowling goals up very soon when you are bowling only four overs in a game.”

ALSO READ | Rajasthan Royals marches into playoffs with hope, and plenty of questions

The former Sri Lanka captain explained that Archer needed more time to gradually build his workload before returning to the demands of Test cricket.

“So he needs time to get that done. And I think that was why the ECB was gracious enough to let him stay and understand that he’ll be fine once he gets his bowling goals up, once he leaves the IPL,” he added.

Earlier this week, Rajasthan Royals assistant coach Trevor Penney had also defended Archer, revealing that the pacer had not even discussed the criticism surrounding his IPL participation with teammates inside the Royals camp.

England recently named its squad for the opening Test against New Zealand, with Archer omitted as the ECB continues to carefully manage his recovery and transition back to the longest format.

Published on May 24, 2026

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *